Campus Intensive English Program (CIEP)
To enroll in the Campus Intensive English Program (CIEP) at the University of Washington, you must:
- Be at least 18 years of age or have completed high school
- Have a basic knowledge of English. You should be able to spell basic vocabulary words in English, to introduce yourself and understand classroom instructions, and to write simple sentences using the verb "to be."
New students will take a placement test. This test will place you into a level ranging from 1 (beginning) to 5 (advanced). If your score is lower than Level 1, you cannot study in the CIEP.
F-1 student visa holders with placement test results lower than Level 1 will be required to study at another SEVP-approved program for at least one quarter. We will assist such students with the transfer process.
Foreign Language Notices
We handle applications on a first-come, first-served basis. Our programs fill up quickly, so please apply early.
Follow these steps to apply:
- Read this website carefully, especially the costs, dates and refund policies.
- Complete the application form.
- Mail the application to the address found on the form, along with:
Once we have processed your application, we will send you a Certificate of Eligibility (Form I-20). We now require all students with international mailing addresses to pay for express mail shipping of their I-20 through eshipglobal. If you are accepted into our program, you will receive instructions for using eshipglobal with your acceptance email. The total shipping cost will vary depending on your country and the shipping service you choose.
Refer to this chart to help determine how much money you must show on the bank statement for your I-20.
Pay the SEVIS I-901 fee.
Contact the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate to schedule an F-1 visa interview appointment. Bring your I-20 and supporting documents to the interview.
- $50 nonrefundable application fee
- Official bank statement (less than 6 months old) and a letter of sponsorship (if sponsored) confirming that you have the funds necessary to pay all tuition and living expenses while you are in the United States
- Copy of the passport pages showing the name, photograph and birthdate for you and all accompanying dependents
It usually takes 9 to 12 business days to process an application.
If you are an international student who would like to transfer from another school in the United States, follow steps 1–3 above. You must also complete a Transfer Eligibility form.
We do not normally issue "transfer pending" I-20s to students prior to the start of our programs unless the student needs the I-20 for the purpose of re-entering the United States.
Note: Admission to the Campus Intensive English Program (CIEP) does not mean you are accepted to the University of Washington.