Intensive English Program (IEP)

Admission Requirements

To enroll in the UW Intensive English Program (IEP) at the University of Washington, you must:

  • Be at least 18 years of age or have completed high school
  • Have a basic knowledge of English. You should be able to spell basic vocabulary words in English, to introduce yourself and understand classroom instructions, and to write simple sentences using the verb "to be."

New students will take a placement test. This test will place you into a level ranging from 1 (beginning) to 5 (advanced). If your score is lower than Level 1, you cannot study in the IEP.

Note: All Level 1 courses are held at the UW downtown Seattle location.

F-1 student visa holders with placement test results lower than Level 1 will be required to study at another SEVP-approved program for at least one quarter. We will assist such students with the transfer process.

Foreign Language Notices

  • Arabic
    • arabic
  • Chinese
    • chinese
  • Japanese
    • japanese
  • Korean
    • korean

Application Steps

Applications are processed on a first-come, first-served basis. Our programs fill up quickly, so please apply early.

Follow these steps to apply:

  1. Read our website for information about our different programs, including dates and costs.
  2. Download a copy of our application.
  3. Fill out an application form and gather supplemental materials (see "Application Requirements" below).
  4. Submit your complete application by e-mail, fax, or mail (see "Application Submission" below).
  5. If you are accepted to our program, we will send you an acceptance e-mail with program details.
    • If you are outside the U.S. and you need an I-20 to apply for an F-1 student visa, we will send your I-20 and acceptance packet to your mailing address. The acceptance packet includes information about paying the SEVIS I-901 fee and preparing for your F-1 visa interview appointment.
    • If you will transfer to our program from another U.S. school, we will include transfer instructions in your acceptance e-mail.
  6. After you have been accepted, get ready to come to Seattle reading our information about arrival and looking for housing.

Application Requirements

To apply to the IEP, please submit the following items:

  • Completed and signed application form
  • Non-refundable application fee of $50 USD
  • Express mail fee of $40 USD (only required for students who need an I-20 sent to a non-U.S. address)
  • Copy of the page in your passport with your picture, name, and birthdate
  • Official bank statement (less than six months old) and letter of sponsorship (if sponsored) confirming you have the funds necessary to cover all tuition and living expenses while you are in the U.S. Both documents must be in English. We accept photocopies, but please be ready to provide originals if asked. Refer to this chart to help you determine how much money you must show on the bank statement for your I-20.
  • If you will bring any dependents (spouse or children), you must include a copy of the page in their passports with their picture, name, and birthdate

Application Submission

Submit your application by e-mail, fax, or mail.

  • Email:
  • Fax: 206-685-9572
  • Regular Mailing Address:
    UW Educational Outreach
    International & English Language Programs
    P.O. Box 45010
    Seattle, WA 98145-0010
  • Express Mailing Address:
    UW Educational Outreach
    International & English Language Programs
    4333 Brooklyn Ave NE.
    Box 359450
    Seattle, WA 98195-9450

Transfer Students

If you are currently studying at another U.S. school on an F-1 student visa and you would like to transfer to our school, please follow the Application Steps listed above. You must also complete a Transfer Eligibility form. We do not normally issue transfer pending I-20s to students prior to the start of our programs unless the student needs the I-20 for the purpose of re-entering the United States.

Note: Admission to the IEP does not mean you are accepted to the University of Washington.


We are happy to answer any questions you may have about applying to the IEP.