Admissions & Visas

Most International & English Language Programs at the University of Washington are considered full-time programs, and they require an F-1 student visa if you are not a U.S. citizen or permanent resident. Students are responsible for obtaining their own visa and must also apply for admission to these programs.

UW IELP also offers some part-time programs and individual courses that do not require a visa or an application; students can simply register for these programs. See below for details on which programs require a visa and for links to the application or registration page for each program.

Full-Time Programs

International & English Language Programs are considered full time if they include 18 hours or more of instruction per week; students must possess an F-1 student visa to enroll in these programs. Washington state law also requires that all international students have accidental injury and illness insurance while attending the University of Washington.

For application instructions and eligibility requirements, click on the name of the full-time IELP program you are interested in.

Part-Time Programs

Our Short Term English Programs (STEP) are considered part-time programs and do not meet the requirements for an F-1 visa. You may still need to obtain a different type of visa to enter the United States. Check with the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate for entry requirements.

No application is needed for part-time programs and courses; simply register online for the program you wish to attend. For registration instructions, click on the name of the program you are interested in:

You will receive a confirmation letter once your registration is complete.


Check the overview page of the program you are interested in to find out if there is an application deadline for that program. In general, most programs are open until filled and applications are processed on a first-come, first-served basis.

For full-time programs, we usually do not accept overseas applicants less than one month before the start of a program. If you live outside of the United States, we recommend that you apply at least three months before the quarter begins. For the Short Term English Program, including Orientation to Academic Skills, students may be accepted up until the day before the program begins if space is available. For evening courses, students may be accepted as late as the first week of the quarter.

Note: Enrollment is sometimes limited to prevent a single language group from being overrepresented. If that is the case, this information will be posted on the program overview page.

If the program you wish to attend is full, we can transfer your application to the next available quarter.

Transfer Students

If you are in the United States on an F-1 visa and are transferring from another school to one of our full-time programs, you will need to submit a completed Transfer Eligibility & Status Verification Form along with your UW IELP application and other supporting documents.


We are happy to answer your questions and provide more information about International & English Language Programs.