ANNOUNCEMENT: The Intensive English Program will no longer be offered after summer 2020.
Are you planning to study at an American college or university? Improve your English in preparation at the Intensive English Program, one of the oldest and most well-respected language programs in the United States. We serve students at all levels — from beginning to advanced.
3 Months–2 Years
Beginning to Advanced
What You’ll Do
- Learn from a combination of core courses on listening, speaking, reading, writing and grammar
- Take elective courses on a variety of interesting topics
- Satisfy the English language proficiency requirement at some of our partner universities
- Qualify for conditional admission at Seattle University and Whitworth University
- Five levels of instruction — so you can find the English instruction that’s just right for you
- Small classes, with an average class size of 14
- Experienced instructors with advanced degrees in teaching English as a second language
- Opportunity to take an undergraduate-level class along with other UW students (at Level 5)
Who Should Apply
This program is for those who want to improve their English proficiency. Many of our students are getting ready to attend college or university in the United States.
You must have at least basic knowledge of English to participate. For admission requirements, see How to Apply.
Most Intensive English Program (IEP) classes meet daily, Monday through Friday, for a total of 20 hours a week. Some upper division and elective classes meet just two or three days a week.
|Application fee (one-time fee; nonrefundable)
|Registration fee (nonrefundable)
|International student health insurance plan
|Room and board (estimated)
|Books and supplies (estimated)
|Other miscellaneous expenses (estimated)
|Estimated Total Per Quarter