Academic Advising

If you are a student in UW International & English Language Programs and want to attend college in the United States, our academic advisor can help you with all aspects of the admission process. The advisor can provide you with information about registering for and taking the TOEFL, IELTS and GRE; help guide you in selecting and applying to colleges; and answer other questions about American higher education.

Applying to Colleges or Universities

Most American universities require international students to demonstrate proficiency in English to be considered for admission. As your English improves, the academic advisor can help you identify and apply to other schools in the United States where you can continue your education.

As part of their application process, many schools require at least three letters of recommendation from academic or professional references. You must also have financial statements that prove you have sufficient funds to study in the United States.

Please note that completion of an IELP program will not guarantee you admission to a college or university, including the University of Washington. (See below for information regarding conditional admission.) Talk to the academic advisor for more details.

Admission to the University of Washington

Admission to UW International & English Language Programs does not mean you have been admitted to the University of Washington. Admission to the UW is highly competitive; you must apply directly to the university and meet specific admission requirements. The UW accepts international undergraduate students for study beginning in autumn quarter only. See the Office of Admissions website for more information about international student admission requirements.

University Track & Partner Universities

If you are enrolled in the Intensive English Program (IEP) and plan to pursue undergraduate or graduate studies in the United States, you can take the specialized University Track. Successful completion of the University Track may serve as proof of English language proficiency for admission to our partner universities, meaning you will not have to submit a score from TOEFL, IELTS or other English proficiency tests.

Our academic advisor can help you with the application process. For more information, see the University Track page of the IEP section.

Taking UW Undergraduate Courses

If you are a IEP student currently enrolled in Upper Division (Level 5) courses, you may be eligible to take a UW undergraduate course along with your English language studies. Only one UW undergraduate course can count toward graduation from the IEP. To learn more, make an appointment with the academic advisor. Please note that taking UW courses does not mean you have been admitted to the university.


To make an appointment with the academic advisor, call 206-543-6242 or contact us via email.