On-Campus Housing

Immerse yourself in university life by staying in a residence hall or apartment on the beautiful UW campus. You'll be just a short walk from classrooms, libraries, computing centers, cafes and other facilities.

On-Campus Housing Availability for the IEP and Other Programs

Residence hall and apartment space on the UW campus is available for IELP students during winter, spring and summer quarters. Normally, all students who apply for housing during these quarters will be assigned to some form of housing. In autumn quarter, on-campus housing is generally unavailable for IELP students due to high demand from matriculated UW students.

To apply for housing on campus, you must first be admitted to your program. You will also need to set up your UW NetID; to do so, follow the instructions that came with your offer of admission. Once you have your UW NetID, go to the Application and Assignment home page to begin the application process. The earlier you submit your application, the better the chance of getting your preferred location.

If you attend one of the programs at our downtown Seattle location, you can still choose to live on the main UW campus. Buses run frequently between main campus and downtown Seattle.

To begin the housing application process, please visit https://myhfs.housing.uw.edu/myhfs and log in using your NetID and password. Please note that it can take up to 3-5 business days after creating your NetID for you to be able to log into the system and apply.

Please contact UW Housing & Food Services directly if you have any additional questions about applying for on-campus housing.

UW Housing & Food Services
Lander Hall room 210 (located just inside the Campus Parkway street-level entrance on the northeast corner of Lander Hall)
Phone: 206-543-4059
Email: hfsinfo@hfs.washington.edu
Office Hours: Monday – Friday, 8 a.m. – 5 p.m.

Residence Hall Living

Residence halls are located on the UW main campus in Seattle. Both one-person and two-person rooms are available. If you reserve a two-person room, you may request a specific roommate; otherwise, a roommate will be assigned to you.

All rooms are furnished with extra-long twin-sized beds, desks, bookcases, chairs, dressers and closets. Small refrigerators may be rented for an additional charge. You will need to bring your own bedding, pillows and towels, unless they are included in your housing package.

You are responsible for cleaning your own room and washing your own towels and linens. Laundry facilities are available in each of the residence halls. Bathrooms and other shared facilities are cleaned regularly by custodial staff.

For more information on residence hall life, see the Residence Halls Welcome Guide on the UW Housing & Food Services site.

Apartment Living

The UW operates two apartment buildings on campus: Cedar Apartments and Nordheim Court. Both buildings offer single rooms in shared apartments. Cedar Apartments features furnished two- and four-bedroom apartments with fully equipped kitchens and shared bathrooms – one bathroom for every two bedrooms. Cedar Apartments also has studio apartments with private bathrooms. Stevens Court offers furnished four- and six-bedroom apartments with fully equipped kitchens, shared bathrooms and a community center. In both facilities, you can arrange to live with specific roommates.


Residence Hall rates vary depending on occupancy and building. Rates generally range from about $2,000 per quarter for a double occupancy room to $3,600 per quarter for a single or studio room.

For cost information and to learn more about available residence hall options, visit the Undergraduate Housing Rates page on the UW Housing & Food Services website.

For summer quarter rates, see the Summer Rates page. Rates for shorter-term programs vary; see the information above on housing packages.


If you arrive before the check-in date, you must arrange for your own housing. See the Short-Term Housing page for a list of hotels in the University District and downtown Seattle.


A limited number of parking spaces are reserved for students living on campus. If you must bring a vehicle to campus, you may apply for a parking space with Commuter Services.


IELP students who live in the residence halls are required to purchase a dining plan. During the academic year, you can choose from one of six different dining plans; in summer quarter there is only one plan.

Your Dining Account is associated with your Husky Card (UW identification card) and works like a prepaid debit card. It may be used at any of more than 40 locations on campus. Each time you purchase a meal, the amount will be subtracted from your Dining Account balance. For more information, see the Dining Account page on the UW Housing & Food Services site.

A dining plan is not required for students who live in Cedar Apartments or Stevens Court.

Your Housing Agreement

If you move into an on-campus residence hall or apartment, it is important to understand that your housing agreement may last longer than your IELP program. For residence halls, agreements last until the end of the academic year. Cedar Apartments and Stevens Court require 12-month agreements. If you only need housing for one quarter, you can end your agreement early, but you must complete the following steps to avoid a $500 early termination fee and other charges:

  1. Submit an Agreement Termination Notice to UW Housing & Food Services (requires UW NetID).
  2. Provide UW Housing & Food Services with official documentation that confirms you are no longer enrolled. This must be done within 14 days of moving out.

For more information, see the main UW Housing & Food Services page.