Come practice your English, get ready for college-level study — and have fun exploring Seattle! Academic Skills Short Term English Program (STEP) is for students entering an undergraduate or graduate program. You can improve your speaking, listening and academic skills in just three weeks.
Intermediate to Advanced
What You'll Do
- Improve your speaking and listening skills and grow your vocabulary
- Develop reading strategies and practice your academic writing
- Practice your English in real-life situations
- Small classes, with an average class size of 14
- Opportunity to explore the campus area on field trips with your classmates and other students
Who Should Register
This program is for people who plan to study at a university in the United States as an undergraduate or graduate student.
You must have intermediate to advanced English skills to participate. For specific requirements, see How to Register.
This program meets in the mornings, Monday through Friday, for a total of 15 hours a week. Two afternoons per week, program staff and UW students lead optional Seattle-area sightseeing activities.
|Registration fee (nonrefundable)
|Room and board (estimated)
The cost of transportation during the optional afternoon activities is not included in STEP tuition. You'll take public transit for these activities and have an opportunity to purchase an ORCA transit card at the start of the program.
We strongly recommend purchasing medical/travel insurance in your home country so that you’ll have coverage during your stay in Seattle. For more information, see Health Insurance & Immunizations.