Class Registration & Payment
Students in UW International & English Language Programs can pay tuition and other fees by phone at 206-543-2310. Payment must be made by Visa, MasterCard or American Express.
Phone registration hours are Monday through Thursday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., and Friday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
The walk-up registration office at Roosevelt Commons is closed until further notice.
If you’re a student in the Intensive English Program (IEP), you’ll take a placement exam to determine your English proficiency level before you register. After you take your placement exam, you'll be given an appointment to register for your classes.
Please bring the following to your registration appointment:
- I-20 Certificate of Eligibility
- Passports, visas and I-20s of any F-2 dependents
- Proof of financial guarantee (if you’re being sponsored by your government)
During your registration appointment, you'll find out which classes you’re eligible to take based on your exam results. After your classes are assigned, you'll go to the registration office to pay tuition and other fees. Then you’ll receive your class schedule.
Students in Other Programs
Students in other IELP programs will be sent information about when and how to register for classes and pay their tuition and fees.
Students have a number of options for paying their tuition and fees. All payments are due before the start of classes. Your registration is not confirmed until payment has been received in full.
Note: A portion of your course fees may go toward refreshments served during gatherings of participants in the program.
Cashier's Check or Bank Check
A cashier's check or bank check is the preferred form of payment. Make the check payable to University of Washington.
Traveler's checks are accepted, but our payment office cannot make change. Be sure you have the exact amount of traveler's checks to pay for your tuition. Note: Do not sign the traveler's checks before you pay.
We accept Visa, MasterCard and American Express only. We don’t accept Discover or any other type of credit or debit card. In addition, please note:
- If your credit card is from a foreign bank, make sure you can charge the full tuition amount. Some cards have daily limits. Before your registration day, be sure to notify your credit card company of the amount to be charged and the date of payment.
- If the card is from a U.S. bank, call the bank and tell them what date you plan to make payment and the amount you’ll be charging to the card.
We accept personal checks. Be sure the check has your local, U.S.-based address on it. Note: If you have just opened a bank account and deposited money with an overseas check, the bank may not release the money for 10 days.
For safety reasons, we prefer that students do not pay in cash. We will accept cash if you have no other way to make payment. You must pay the exact amount in U.S. dollars; our registration office cannot provide any change.
If you’d like to pay your tuition and fees online, you may use the Flywire payment system. Please allow a week for the UW to receive payment.
Refund policies vary by program. See refund policies for specific programs below. For all programs, application, registration and deposit fees are nonrefundable.
In the event that a program is canceled due to low enrollment, all program and registration fees will be refunded.
Intensive English Program (IEP), Business English Program and Global Business Certificate
- 100 percent tuition refund if you withdraw by 5 p.m. of the fifth business day of the program
- 50 percent tuition refund if you withdraw by 5 p.m. of the 10th business day of the program
- No tuition refund if you withdraw after 5 p.m. of the 10th business day of the program
Graduate School Preparation Program
- 100 percent tuition refund if you withdraw before the start of the program
- 50 percent tuition refund if you withdraw by 5 p.m. of the first business day of the program
- No tuition refund if you withdraw after 5 p.m. of the first business day of the program
Short Term English Programs (STEP)
- 100 percent tuition refund if you withdraw by 5 p.m. of the second business day of the program
- 50 percent tuition refund if you withdraw by 5 p.m. of the third business day of the program
- No tuition refund if you withdraw after 5 p.m. of the third business day of the program
Refunds are restricted to individual online applicants. Wire transfer refunds will not be offered after payment. If a group wire transfer payment has been made and a student in the group cannot attend STEP, an alternate student may be substituted at the group organizer's discretion prior to the start of the program.
- 100 percent tuition refund if you withdraw before the first business day of the program.
- After that, you may request a partial refund for every quarter that has not yet started; refund decisions are determined at UW's sole discretion.